Saturday, August 20, 2011

Corbin Heath is Here!!

It's been a while since I updated.
I had been diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH), however my blood pressure leveled off after a week or two.
After a growth ultrasound, my doctor suggested that I schedule an induction for August 23. So, that is what I did.
Once I hit 37 weeks, I was pretty much officially done being pregnant. I was sore, tired and just miserable. At my 37 week appointment, there was minimal progress, so I began praying that August 23 would get here quickly.
I woke up Monday morning at 4:30 a.m. and I was having what I thought were contractions. It was like a very strong cramp that started in my back and would sometimes radiate around to the front. If you've ever had a kidney infection, the back pain was very similar to that. I figured it was just false labor, and laid in bed reading a book until I had to go to the office.
By the time 8:30 rolled around, I was hurting bad enough that I almost didn't go in. But there were some last minute things that needed to get done, so in I went. I finally decided to call my OB, however it was almost 12. So I decided to wait until after lunch. By 1:00 p.m. the contractions had subsided and I was glad I didn't call and sound dumb about false labor pains lol.
That evening they started up again, but were not nearly as regular nor painful. Adam and I went to my grandpa's house to fix his TV and my uncle was there. He could tell I was miserable and I told him I had been feeling contractions all day. His birthday was on Wednesday (August 17th) and he started making jokes that Corbin would share his birthday. Just teasing, I said I'd rather go late than them share a birthday haha!

We went home and the contractions again subsided and I was able to go to bed at 11 p.m. I usually wake up between 3:30 and 4:00 to use the bathroom. As usual, I woke up around 3:15 and felt a small piddle. I jumped out of bed as fast as I could thinking that I'd hate to have to wake up Adam to help me change the sheets I peed on. As soon as I was on my feet, the flood gates open! I turned on the side lamp and work Adam up. As soon as he heard "I think my water broke", he said ok and walked out of the bedroom. I have no idea where he was going but I asked him for towels.
After that I called the hospital who wanted me to come in. We finished packing the bag we hadn't put together yet and headed to the hospital where they admitted me. My contractions still hadn't started back up, but when checked, I was already at 5 cm!
After a while I felt a few pains, and decided that I'd had enough pain the day before and got an epidural. It went amazingly well, I did not feel any pain, but was able to feel my contractions perfectly fine. It made them feel like braxton hicks contractions. My blood pressure dipped a few times, but some extra fluids brought it back up.
By 2:30 p.m. I was ready to start pushing. The nurse had me do some "practice pushes" and she was shocked at how quickly his head was starting to come. She asked me to stop pushing until the Dr. arrived.
I was able to feel every single push, however there was no way in hell that I'd be able to stop pushing. The urge was just there and I couldn't stop. I told the nurse and she told me to continue. The Dr. arrived just as he was starting to crown. She sat down and in two more pushes, Corbin was out! He was born at 2:55 p.m. and he only took about 5 or 6 pushes and less than 15 minutes!
I have a second degree tear, but other than that and some extreme swelling, both he and I are fine. We were both discharged on Thursday.
Adam and I are both so in love. He is the cutest little thing ever, and a great baby.

And because I love showing him off, here he is!

Corbin Heath Kazmir born 8/16/2011 @ 2:55 p.m. He weighed 7lbs, 8oz

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Bonita! He's adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so beautiful Bonita! I just want to hold him! So happy your labor went so smoothly and hope mine goes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Bonita, he is perfect! I love your birth story, it sounds very peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been so out of the loop! Congrats, Bonita. He's GORGEOUS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete